Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Torticollis

That sounds like some type of amphibian, maybe pre-flood?  Or better, some type of Italian dish?

Unfortunately neither, though I would enthusiastically welcome either or both!

In layman terms - stiff neck.  However, this was not a typical I slept wrong, my neck is sore, this was a flat out, shoot me I am in severe pain.  One lesson learned DO NOT apply ice, which caused everything to 'jam' up more than it already was.  Moist heat is the first step.  I've become good friends with Biofreeze as well.  I may have to invest and recoop some of my hard earned money!

Fortunately I see a chiropractor regularly - so on my way to work, I stopped.  Thankfully they take walk ins.  One adjustment didn't do, nor the massage I had the next day.  The second days' adjustment literally had me in tears from pain and relief from some of it.  I returned that evening for another adjustment and massage, followed by a another visit on the fourth day.

My chiro used the word - torticollis - I couldn't even spell it to Google it!  Sort of scary when the first results came up, especially with some of the pictures!  Goodness!



I don't know that mine was quite as severe as that pictured above, though I felt like my neck and head were 'stuck!'  I've a better understanding and compassion for those who suffer pain continually.

I can't even imagine how someone with 24/7 pain manages, even with pain medicine.  Its horridly wearying.  I'm thanking God for His gracious provision of the funds to see the chiro and massage therapist and only a week of suffering.  Some of the sites I visited said anywhere from one week to four for recovery!

I enjoyed the post from Back Pain Blog - which helped me to understand how and why I may have ended up with such a stiff neck.  I've a much better understanding of the 'push and pull' going on between the bones and muscles.  Whew!  I'd really like NOT to repeat that experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment