Sunday, August 18, 2013

Psalms for Singing

Our ladies study group was encouraging one another to memorize songs based upon Colossians 3:16 and Ephesians 5:19 (see Encourage One Another and Part II).

Frankly, I'm not doing well, part of the problem is laziness, okay, the majority of the problem is laziness.  I did, however, start listening (again and again and...) to the Psalms our pastor has set to music and recorded.  I've been playing (over and over again) Psalm 1.  I actually catch myself singing it internally.  I'm making progress!

If you'd like to listen:  Sovereign Grace Church.

Here's an article I recently read: Why the Church Needs to Sing the Psalms which is a great exhortation to use Psalms for family and corporate worship.

I've never done a word study or searched for the first usage of the word Psalm or Psalms.  I really thought it would have been used much earlier.

A search via E-sword - Psalms is found 9x in 9 verses.  The singular 88x in 88 verses.

1Ch 16:7  Then on that day David delivered first this psalm to thank the LORD into the hand of Asaph and his brethren.

So what is the Hebrew word?

H4210 - From H2167; properly instrumental music; by implication a poem set to notes. (Used 57x in 57 verses)

  • H2167 - A primitive root (perhaps identical with H2168 through the idea of striking with the fingers); properly to touch the strings or parts of a musical instrument, that is, play upon it; to make music, accompanied by the voice; hence to celebrate in song and music.
Psalms (plural) is H2167 see above ^ . (Used 46x in 42 verses)

So first usage of H4210 is Psalm 3:1

H2167 is Judges 5:3 "...I will sing praise to the Lord God of Israel."

May you be exhorted and encouraged to spend time meditating and singing HIS psalms and, in turn, encouraging, exhorting and even admonishing one another!

No comments:

Post a Comment