Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kastle - 1 Spare Bedroom


It has been a long haul getting everything done - its been a long time coming as well.  Keeping a house is not EASY!

Especially on a tight budget!  Most of the renovations I've done so far are topical - nothing like busting out walls (thank you Lord!) or having to replace walls or floors.  One of the major items that I've been  doing with each room is removing the carpet.  The carpets are over 19 years old - and I'm not replacing them with carpet either!  Right now I'm contenting myself with removing the tack strips (have you ever done that, it's not easy!) and any protruding staples or nails.  That said here is the 1st bedroom:

Stage I - boy friendly - classic colors - plus joy of joys, when we prepped the walls originally (wall board with some type of 'wall paper') we obviously didn't sand well enough and the paint literally peeled.

This is Stage I - how the room looked before I started and this 'program' doesn't allow me to 'place' the pictures as I'd like...so forgive the jumble.







Stage II - Preparing the walls - prepping the walls means, sanding, then vacuuming, then drywall tape and mud. Due to the paint peeling previously it was important to make sure the walls were sufficiently 'roughed' up so the paint would stick.  I definitely didn't want to experience the same situation!  At this juncture I believe the carpet was still on the floor.












Stage III - applying the tape and mud!  And 'making' corners!  Especially on an area that had already been spackled!  Some of these pictures show the first application of tape/mud.  While others may reflect the 2nd or 3rd (busting out the seams as the professionals call it - and no I am NOT a professional!).









Stage IV - I can see light!  Wait, that's the ceiling light!  :-)  Okay, we've finally got the base coat on.  How, you may ask, did I decide on such a rich and vibrant turquoise?  Well simple!  I needed to match a color from the bedding!  Also, at this stage the carpet and padding has been donated to friends who needed it to 'shore' up their dirt road.  All the tack strips and staples have been removed/hammered down.  In this room I thought I needed to 'spruce' up the floor so painted it using deck paint (gray).  I decided to forgo this on all the other rooms.




This shot below gives a better glimpse of the painted floor.
We're making progress!  The paper curtains are off and now we've got 'real' ones!
Ah, just what the room needs, a little rustic touch!  Courtesy of my oldest son!  A chest - and has this come in handy for storing extra linens and blankets!
Now we are almost DONE!  Curtains up - pictures on the wall, desk, chair, dresser!  We're ready for company!














And that completes this room - well as much as I'm willing to do at this juncture - onward!  This whole house project didn't start out that way.  I was simply going to take care of the bathroom and bedroom...wait, I've wanted to paint the kitchen.  Somewhere along this route, the paint was on sale, I had enough drywall tape and mud (or so I thought, hahahaha) to do the W-H-O-L-E house.

Next up...the kitchen - and my on my what a drastic change!

No comments:

Post a Comment