Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Suicide

I can't remember how or why I came across this article on suicide.

Suicidal Thoughts on Suicide - SEPTEMBER 9, 2014 - C Michael Patton

“Your packing a suitcase to a place that none of us has been. A place that has to be believed to be seen.”

-Bono
“Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of”

I have needed to write this ever since the death of Robin Williams. Every public suicide gets to me. Well . . . every suicide I hear about gets to me, public or not. I wish it didn’t. I wish it was some distant thing that was as familiar to me as plane crashes, getting struck by lightening, or the death penalty. Sure, I have heard about those things and they are tragic, but they are what happens to those on the other side of the world, not to me. Suicide is different since, as many of you know, my sister killed herself in 2004.

These are suicidal thoughts on suicide because when I think about this subject or put some thoughts to paper, it is almost more than I can bear. To think this world affords us the pain and suffering that it must take to pull the proverbial trigger makes me quite troubled.

Statistics on Suicide

Here are some basic statistics on suicide:
A suicide occurs every 15 minutes in USA
35,000 per year
Fourth leading cause of death of people ages 18-65
There are four male suicides for every female suicide, but twice as many females as males attempt suicide.
Firearms account for 60 percent of all suicides.
More active duty soldiers die from suicide than from combat

“Hold me now . . . Cause I’m six feet from the edge and I’m thinking, maybe six feet ain’t that far down.”

-Creed
“One Last Breath”

Suicides in the Bible

It might be interesting to note that there are quite a few suicides recorded in the Bible. Here is what I found.

1. Abimelech – Judges 9:54

2. Samson – Judges 16:30

3. King Saul - 1 Sam. 31:4

4. King Saul’s armour-bearer – 1 Sam 31:5

5. Ahithophel – 2 Sam. 17:23

6. Zimri – 1 Kings 16:18

7. Judas – Matt. 27:5

To finish the article, click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment