Sunday, September 7, 2014

I am Gomer

And so are you.

Or we were, or perhaps we still are?

This week's reading is Hosea.  Hosea is one of those books which, when you read causes great distress mentally.  God told him to do what?


Hosea 1:2b ...And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD.

As I began reading, I realized, that's me.  Not Hosea, but Gomer.  I'm 'that' woman.  We're all 'that' woman, either spiritually (and for some, physically as well).

As I'm reading, I'm thinking, how 'faithful' am I?  I can remember the first time reading through Hosea, after the initial WHAT?!?!?!? thinking HOW can this woman who had to earn her bread and butter through prostitution EVEN think of returning?

God provided her with a loving husband, a provider, took her from her 'old' ways and set her up as his wife.  Yet she disdained the delicacies determined by God.

Notice too, she wasn't looking to be rescued, Hosea went and found her. So too with us, God has come and rescued us from the muck and mire of our eternally damned state and set us up as daughters (and sons).

How much do we appreciate this?  Do we loathe the 'confinement' of being His chosen?  Do we 'run' back to our former ways?  In the ways we talk?  The things we watch?  Read?  Thoughts?

How faithful are we?  Looking at ourselves as God does (and I know He sees us through Christ and we can't REALLY know what/how He sees), if we're gut wrenchingly truthful with ourselves...how much do we resemble Gomer?  Even after having been 'saved'?

How many 'think' they're saved because they've been called/chosen, yet are still being conformed to this world?  Reading, watching, listening to the world's drivel?

How many 'think' they're saved because they walked an isle, said a prayer, etc., yet have no outward (fruitful) changes?

How many 'think' they're saved because they were 'baptized' as babies (my thoughts here), yet haven't been born again?  Given a new heart?

How fast and loose do we play with the Word of God, treating Him, His gift, His mercies contemptuously?

I'm guilty - I'm Gomer.  I don't love God as I should.  I don't crave His Word.  I don't press into Him as I ought.  Does He view me as an adulteress?  How have, or am I, chasing over 'old' lovers?  Flesh fillers which have no spiritual inheritance.

God help us all...help me, help Your people to be passionate, to turn from the 'things' of this world, to desire You, to talk in a way which gives You glory.  To think and act in a way which shows us to be true ambassadors. God help us, help me, to put away the desires of the flesh.

*****NOTE****
Being a Gomer doesn't necessarily mean physical fornication, but can involve mental lust.  It can also be something as 'simple' as watching movies which blaspheme God.

When we're reading or watching or engaging in conversations with others, do we 'filter' it as if Jesus were right there beside us?  How fervently do we 'screen' what comes into our hearts and minds?

Have we allowed other 'gods' (lovers) into our lives?  Netflix?  Facebook? Pinetrest? Instagram? Books?  Music?  Food? People? Family even?

1 comment:

  1. This was really good - thank you for sharing this convicting exhortation. :-)

    ReplyDelete