Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Birds and Bees...

...and butterflies.

I'm finally beginning to 'feel' better after my bad adjustment.  It's taken a while, but thank you LORD, I am beginning to 'do' stuff.  I actually mopped my floor this weekend!

I even picked up some pine cones and sticks out of the yard and sat outside and read a book, in the SUNSHINE!  Mmmmmmhhhh!  My heart swelled afresh with pride and thankfulness as I perused the awesome job my oldest son and his in-laws did with siding my house.

Sooo...time for thinking about some borders on the house - all the previous plants (and I hope all those nasty vines) were rooted out during the installation of the footer and skirting.

I've had a couple of tea trees in pots for...well awhile.  They really need to be planted and I've been scoping where to place them.  They smell sooo good when they are blooming.  I want them close enough to have the fragrance billow in through the windows without causing any problems because of their root system.

As I was out and about the internet browsing for information on tea tree, I came across this article, which had information on how to infuse the leaves to extract the oil.

"The leaves can be made into a simple infusion, either using oil or distilled water. The easiest method is to pack a clear jar with fresh leaves and fill jar with either water or carrier oil (olive or grape seed are nice). Seal the container, then place in a very sunny spot. After two weeks oils from the leaves will have infused into your carrier, which can then be used to create other projects."

I'll need to finish out the skirting before I begin planting flowers, but wanted to get stuff which would attract hummingbirds, bees and butterflies.  :-)

Thought I'd start with the hanging plant stake I have...and so here's what I've found thus far:

Birds:  Flowers to Attract Hummingbirds and this one Attracting Hummingbirds.

Bees:  What Plant Attract Bees and Making a Bee Fiendly Garden

Butterflies:  Plants that Attract Butterflies and How To Attract Butterflies to Your Garden

I'd never heard or read this before:  "As the poet pointed out, butterflies are flying flowers, and flowers are tethered butterflies."

No comments:

Post a Comment