Tuesday, February 4, 2014

2014 - Day 35

Be holy...specifically, be holy, for I am holy.

Leviticus 11:45 For I am the LORD that bringeth you up out of the land of Egypt, to be your God: ye shall therefore be holy, for I am holy.

Searching for just the words be holy, garnered quite a few hits.

Which reminded me of this passage from the New Testament:

1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

E-Sword doesn't have a cross reference, or if it does I haven't found it. My Bible has a Peter referencing Leviticus 11:44, 45; 19:2; 20:7 and I have a marginal note adding verse 26.

These verses call for us to sanctify ourselves:


Lev 11:44  For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am holy: neither shall ye defile yourselves with any manner of creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Lev 20:7  Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the LORD your God.

Be a reflection of Him:


Lev 19:2  Speak unto all the congregation of the children of Israel, and say unto them, Ye shall be holy: for I the LORD your God am holy.

Separated from the heathen:

Lev 20:26  And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.

Until I'd done a search for 'be holy' I didn't realize how many times God says it.  The first instance:

Exo_22:31  And ye shall be holy men unto me: neither shall ye eat any flesh that is torn of beasts in the field; ye shall cast it to the dogs.

The particular phrase be holy is used in 39 verses...another one from the New Testament:

Eph_1:4  According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

The body (Jew and Gentile in one):

Eph_5:27  That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

With the phrase be ye holy only 3 occasions Lev 20:7, 1 Peter 1:16 and this one:

1Pe_1:15  But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

In all manner of conversation - still mulling over speaking in your heart (inward conversations and/or thoughts) and how they manifest outwardly.

in - G1722 - A primary preposition denoting (fixed) position (in place, time or state), and (by implication) instrumentality (medially or constructively), that is, a relation of rest (intermediate between G1519 and G1537); “in”, at, (up-) on, by, etc.

all manner - G3956 - Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

of conversation - G391 - From G390; behavior.
  • G390 - From G303 and G4762; to overturn; also to return; by implication to busy oneself, that is, remain, live.
    • G303 - A primary preposition and adverb; properly up; but (by extension) used (distributively) severally, or (locally) at (etc.).
    • G4762 - Strengthened from the base of G5157; to twist, that is, turn quite around or reverse (literally or figuratively).
Thus concludes my musings on my daily reading today, quite a path I've followed and been exhorted.  Lord, help us Your people to be holy as You are.  To give a proper representation of You in all areas of our lives, especially in our conversations, whether they be internal or outward.

No comments:

Post a Comment