Thursday, February 13, 2014

2014 - Day 44

Ahhh....44 days. How are you doing? Reading steadily? Lagging (if you can call it that)? Haven't started? Start, stop, start, stop? Where ever you are, DON'T GIVE UP! Stay the course, keep reading!

Today's reading is Numbers 13-16 and Proverbs 13.

This verse seemed to tie in well with some passages I was reflecting upon from Numbers:

Pro 13:10 Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom.

I was intrigued by the phrase return to Egypt as well as Korah, Dathan and Abiram. When Moses calls them out in Numbers 16:26, Dathan and Abiram came and stood in the door of their tents. But where's Korah?

Was he too proud to even come and see what was going on outside his door? Was he so without fear of the Almighty? Or resigned to his fate, knowing he'd past the point of no return?

And the wives and children - they suffer the same fate as their husbands. The ground opening up and swallowing all. A timely reminder to take care in whom you marry or have as friends.

For some reason I thought there were more passages where Israel wanted to 'return to Egypt'.

Num 14:3 And wherefore hath the LORD brought us unto this land, to fall by the sword, that our wives and our children should be a prey? were it not better for us to return into Egypt?

Num 14:4 And they said one to another, Let us make a captain, and let us return into Egypt.

What did Egypt represent to them?  Egypt is seen as a type of the world.  Israel, though in bondage, was comfortable in Egypt.  Did they like their bondage?  Being slaves?  Having their children murdered?  No.  But the familiar is comfortable, especially when faced with new situations or circumstances.

Even the treacherous life of living as slaves afforded some measure of 'comfort' in knowing if they 'toed' the line, they would save their hides.

They are continuously looking back to what was, what they had, what they were now 'lacking' as they learned to follow God.

Looking back makes me think of Lot's wife and we know she ended up!  A pillar of salt.  Israel ended up losing the promised land for all those over 20 (except for Joshua and Caleb).

The question for me is, how much of the world am I entertaining in my life?  How much am I craving the world?  I know I must live in the world, yet not be of the world, but how well am I balancing?

Is the outside persona I present truly what is on the inside?  Am I truly being renewed and renewing my mind with the Word of God?  Desiring to be washed in His word?  To give a proper estimate of Him?

Lord, help me to stay focused on the goal line, to cross victorious, to hear You say, well done, thou good and faithful servant.  Not for the sake of boasting and not because of anything in me - for I am completely unable.  For Your glory Lord, help me to run this race with endurance, to forsake the things of this world.

Lord, help me to encourage others to seek You, and for companions on this journey, that together we may walk and talk of the things pertaining to You and righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment