Wednesday, February 5, 2014

2014 - Day 36

Lev 16:32  And the priest, whom he shall anoint, and whom he shall consecrate to minister in the priest's office in his father's stead, shall make the atonement, and shall put on the linen clothes, even the holy garments:

Lev 16:33  And he shall make an atonement for the holy sanctuary, and he shall make an atonement for the tabernacle of the congregation, and for the altar, and he shall make an atonement for the priests, and for all the people of the congregation.

I mulled these verses over a few times...thinking of how Jesus came as a priest in his father's stead.

Made atonement for the holy sanctuary and tabernacle (body) and the priests (believers).

Atonement - H3722 - A primitive root; to cover (specifically with bitumen); figuratively to expiate or condone, to placate or cancel.

My Bible references propitiate as an alternate word...and because curiosity killed the cat, what other words are listed as synonyms (courtesy dictionary.com)?


penance

redemption

reparation
amends
expiation
indemnification
payment
propitiation
recompense
redress
restitution
satisfaction

Reading through Leviticus, all the work required to be 'holy', all the preparation, the sacrifices, the blood, the minute examinations...I'm frankly amazed that people could accomplish anything in their day to day lives without having to constantly make atonement for some sin.

I know there were 'saints' in the Old Testament, those who believed by faith in the coming Messiah, yet there would have been those who didn't have faith, yet were trying to live a righteous standard.  How burdensome it must have been to constantly 'feel' like you had to guard everything you said, did, touched, etc.

Then I wonder...were they (saved or unsaved) burdened better than I?  How diligently am I to repent of my sins...to keep the righteousness of God before me?  To notice those 'little' details of transgression?  The wayward thought, the attitude, the minimizing of words or behavior?

Do I 'see' His blood, spilled for me?  For the 'leprosy' in me, my clothing, my belongings, my home.  How often does He 'shut me up' to examine and see if it is a 'fretting leprosy'?

How often do I ask for His review?  His examination?  Call for accountability?

And...when He shows me, do I kick against the goads?  Or do I embrace His correction, regardless of how it is given?  Am I a pliable lump of clay, or hardened and indifferent?

No comments:

Post a Comment