Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Judges 16-18, 19-21

Judges 16-18

Delilah - women needed a man to provide for them. Samson not a good catch because of his history? She's not named as a harlot, but acts like it for accepting money.

Samson's judgment and trust were ill placed, what sin or sins in my life are causing me to not judge well?

17:13 - ...now know I that the Lord will do me good seeing...

I have said, done, etc. How oft do we fall into this same trap, dotting i's or crossing t's, thinking now God will bless me with (fill in the blank).

Whether we think it openly or its just a vague perception, even a distant hope, aren't we treating God, and His gifts, grace, favor as at our command?   

Judges 19-21

Look up counsel + Lord.

20:18 ask who goes first, not whether they should.

20:23 asked if they should.

20:26 asked again

Pondering, obviously when the Lord does something it can have an impact on a variety of people. God's actions, blessings, judgments, silence don't just impact one person, it ripples.

Insert water disturbed by rock.

The other tribes of Israel needed judgment, but while God 'delayed' judging Benjamin, did this cause those who hadn't previously joined in the battle to be 'strengthened' and join in on the 2nd or 3rd day?

Chapter 21 - bemoaning loss of a tribe. Was God? Though they built an altar and made offerings, did God ordain the next killings? Taking of women? He allowed it yes, but was it by His direction?

I may allow my child to 'sneak' something and there appears to be no 'punishment'. However have they truly obeyed? Are there consequences which they're not aware? Or even me by lack of diligence because it's a 'small' thing and I'm too tired or lazy to stand firm? 

No comments:

Post a Comment