Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 - Day 1

Don't get comfortable, this may not be a daily occurrence.  :-P

Pondering upon my reading this morning...

I started with Genesis (chapters 1-3) - contemplating on the issue of trust.  Eve didn't trust God or Adam, Adam didn't trust God.  I'm more focused on the woman though - God hadn't ever been 'bad' to her, unless you count the lie that the enemy planted.  Adam hadn't been 'bad' to her, unless you count his lack of protection from the enemy.

When we don't trust God, or the men He's provided (or allowed) in our lives, we can really go out of bounds.  Thinking of Sarah, how she didn't trust God and went her 'own' way, and we have the nation from Ishmael.

Lot's daughters who didn't trust and conceived seed of their father, following their own inclinations, and produced Moab and Ammon.

I'm sure there are other examples; however, I'm focusing on how distrusting I am of my heavenly Father.  How disrespectful and disobedient that attitude is to Him.  He, who has provided all I will ever need. When I begin to fret or worry over some situation or circumstance, allowing my thoughts to ricochet off one side of my mind to the other, not taking (or bringing) every thought captive.



The verse below captured my attention and not until writing this post did I realize how well it tied into the trust issue.

Pro 1:33  But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.

Hearkeneth - H8085 - A primitive root; to hear intelligently (often with implication of attention, obedience, etc.; causatively to tell, etc.

This word is used 1158 times in 1072 verses - the first occurrence is when Adam and Eve 'hear' the voice of the Lord in the garden (Gen 3:8).  The Psalms have many references to the Lord "hearing" a prayer.  It's reassuring to know the Lord hears His children...and answers.

Interestingly this verse caught my attention on being quiet from fear of evil - notice quiet from fear.  Isn't that what we have when we don't trust Him?  Fear?  Not that there won't be evil - tests and tribulations - but a settled stillness which comes from knowing He is for us, not against us.

Psa_46:10  Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

Oh Father, help us Your children to HEAR you, to obey, to trust and believe You can and will work all out for our good and Your glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment