Thursday, January 2, 2014

2014 - Day 2

Caution:  This could be habit forming.  Or could it?  I'd heard the old adage, 21 days (or sometimes 40) to form a new habit. Really?

According to this article: Is It True... and this: Habit Formation, the 21 Day Myth, that's not the case.  I enjoyed both articles and found them to be encouraging.  Setting goals and changing patterns isn't easy.  It requires prayer, diligence and accountability.

My prayer isn't so much to post daily, rather to spend time with Him.  Becoming more intimate and knowledgeable about who He is (as much as possible this side of glory) AND for my fellow sojourners to enjoy the same.

I know I've written this before, but I'm still surprised when I 'see' something 'new.'  You'd think after years of reading through the Bible I'd have mined it thoroughly.  Oh, so not true!

Isa 55:8-9  For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. 

Deu 29:29  The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.

A never ending delight of discovery awaits you...if you haven't started, or started, stopped, started, stopped, ect.  Don't be discouraged, jump in - ANYWHERE!  Unless you were with God in the beginning we're ALL behind!  Take the challenge of getting to know your maker, He's provided His Word, preserved it for well over 5,000+ years.

Today I was reading Genesis 4-6, a few thoughts:

The word respect captured me today.  God had respect.  Think on that for a bit...God had respect, He also had NO respect.

Respect - H8159 - A primitive root; to gaze at or about (properly for help); by implication to inspect, consider, compassionate, be nonplussed (as looking around in amazement) or bewildered.

Not - H3808 - lo; a primitive particle; not (the simple or abstract negation); by implication no; often used with other particles.

I've been reading several commentaries on the above - most are too lengthy to post here; however, this portion from Kiel and Delitzsch (K&D) made me think about habits:

Cain is to rule over the sin which is greedily desiring him, by giving up his wrath, not indeed that sin may cease to lurk for him, but that the lurking evil foe may obtain no entrance into his heart.

I'm using the commentaries contained in E-Sword (which is a free Bible download - for both Windows and Mac) or you can view K&D here, here or here.

I can't say it definitively, and haven't researched it extensively; however from the flow of the verses Cain (after slaying Abel), married, had children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, etc. etc.,then Adam and Eve had Seth years later?

Gen 4:25  And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew. 

Gen 5:3  And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth: 

So was there a major time lag between Cain and Abel's birth and Seth?  Scripture doesn't say how old Adam (or Eve) were when conceiving and bearing Cain and Abel - since they were made as adults they could have been as young as 1 year old!

Adam and Eve obviously had other children after Cain and Abel = Cain had to get his wife from somewhere!  I'm pondering upon this...Cain, Abel, a baby a year - Cain is about what 20, maybe 30 or above and slays his brother...did Eve quit bearing children at that juncture? Or continue on and then when Seth was conceived somehow it was known this was the line from whom the Messiah would enter?

Ah...one of those ponderables which will be revealed in heaven perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment