Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Talebearer

Proverbs 11:13 - A talebearer (H1980 H7400) revealeth secrets: but he that is of a faithful spirit concealeth the matter.

Who or what is a talebearer?

H1980 - Akin to H3212; a primitive root; to walk (in a great variety of applications, literally and figuratively).

H7400 - From H7402; a scandal monger (as travelling about).

  • H7402 - A primitive root; to travel for trading.
The word 'talebearer' is used 6x, all in the OT, mostly in Proverbs:

Pro 18:8 The words of a talebearer (H5372) are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.

Pro 20:19 He that goeth about as a talebearer (H7400) revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.

Pro 26:20 Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer,(H5372) the strife ceaseth.

Pro 26:22 The words of a talebearer (H5372) are as wounds, and they go down into the innermost parts of the belly.

Lev 19:16 Thou shalt not go up and down as a talebearer (H7400) among thy people: neither shalt thou stand against the blood of thy neighbour: I am the LORD.

H5372 - From an unused root meaning to roll to pieces; a slanderer.

H7400 - Is used 6x, 3 of the verses above and as slanders in Jeremiah 6:28 and 9:4, and carry tales in Eze 22:9. 

H5372 - Is used 4x - in the verses above.

Characteristics of a talebearer (or gossip):

Reveals secrets - can you keep a secret or confidence?
Wounding words - do your words wound?
Flatterer - do you 'put on airs' or 'pretend to like someone'?
Strife enducer a/k/a as Pot Stirrer - do you like it when everyone's in an uproar?

The NT has a few verses:

Rom 1:29  Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, (G5588).

Rom 1:30  Backbiters (G2637), haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

2Co 12:20  For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings (G2636), whisperings (G5587), swellings, tumults:

G5588 - From the same as G5587; a secret calumniator (say what? Definition: to make false and malicious statements about; slander.).

G5587 - From a derivative of ψίθος psithos (a whisper; by implication a slander; probably akin to G5574); whispering, that is, secret detraction.

G2636 - From G2637; defamation.

G2637 - From G2596 and the base of G2980; talkative against, that is, a slanderer.

I found this article Gossip and Christian Scripture an interesting read.  We need to be circumspect in our conversations, especially if we are 'sharing' information about someone else; however, honest and open communication and dealing with, or exposing problems shouldn't be label as gossip.

This snippet intrigued me:

"Here is a real-life example of gossip. A Christian woman who was an intercessor would often look at me intently while I was teaching and/or praying. A gossip we will call Charlotte started telling people that we were having a secret affair, and if they peaked during prayer they would see that this woman was making eyes at me. I started hearing all sorts of reports from those Charlotte was calling to "let know what was really going on". Further, Charlotte also came to believe I was madly in love with her as well, and told several people that I was following her home at night (as well as other pastors in the area: all milling around her house I suppose). Charlotte was the real deal: a biblical gossip. She seemed to get a perverted enjoyment from telling slanderous tales obviously detached from the truth. After repeated rebukes and Charlotte's continued rejection of our encouragement to repent and receive prayer and dedicate herself to the truth, we had to dissfellowship her. Perhaps she is in your church now? Just wait till you hear her stories; for it will take only a modicum of discernment or common-sense to know that what she is doing is a grievous sin."

I had a similar situation, I strive to 'give no appearance of evil' in my interactions with men.  Many, many, many years ago, I had sought counsel from an elder in that church.  I did so openly, in the sanctuary, in front of (I thought) God and everyone else.  I did this more than once.  Someone went to the man's wife and caused her to think I was chasing her husband.
Had the person who 'thought' that come to me, we could have resolved the issue, I would have taken more care of how and when I was speaking to the elder and the man's wife wouldn't have been distressed.

So...Before you make a 'call' on someone, check to ensure you have your facts correct.  Don't make the mistake of thinking how you feel, view, see, a situation or based on your life experiences or previous history necessarily makes all situations the same.

If you believe, think, know someone may be out of bounds or engaging in behavior which is not glorifying to God, go and talk to them.  Don't talk behind their back or carry tales.

No comments:

Post a Comment