Saturday, November 8, 2014

Puffed Up

Every time I hear or read 'puffed up' I think of cheese puffs.

Nutritional value?  Corn meal and water, made into a paste and steamed.  Full of air.  Almost like cotton candy. Put it in your mouth and it literally melts into nothingness, well almost nothingness.  Makes me think of one dimension, a flat line: ____________.  It has no substance.

So what or why or how did I end up with this thought?

1Co_4:6 And these things, brethren, I have in a figure transferred to myself and to Apollos for your sakes; that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another.

1Co_4:18 Now some are puffed up, as though I would not come to you.

1Co_4:19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord will, and will know, not the speech of them which are puffed up, but the power.

1Co_5:2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you.

1Co_13:4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

Searching for just the word puffed up revealed the above verses, which were part of my recent daily readings, as well as this one:

Col_2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

Puffed up - G5448 - From G5449 in the primary sense of blowing; to inflate, that is, (figuratively) make proud (haughty).
  • G5449 - From G5453; growth (by germination or expansion), that is, (by implication) natural production (lineal descent); by extension a genus or sort; figuratively native disposition, constitution or usage.
    • G5453 - A primary verb; probably originally to “puff” or blow, that is, to swell up; but only used in the implied sense, to germinate or grow (sprout, produce), literally or figuratively.
One more verse which uses G5448:

1Co 8:1  Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffeth up, but charity edifieth.

So what 'cheese puffs' are we entertaining in our lives?  Valuing ourselves above others?  Our 'knowledge' or 'wisdom' as being 'better'?  A holier than thou attitude?

Charity - G26 - From G25; love, that is, affection or benevolence; specifically (plural) a love feast.
  • G25 - Perhaps from ἄγαν agan (much; or compare [H5689]); to love (in a social or moral sense).
CHARITY

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 

And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
 
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. 

Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, 

Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; 

Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; 

Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. 

1 Corinthians 13:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment