Sunday, September 18, 2016

Psalm 128:1 - of Degrees

The first segment of this study, Psalm 128:1 – "A Song..." can be viewed HERE.

Today’s study is “of degrees” – which is H4609:

Feminine of H4608; elevation, that is, the act (literally a journey to a higher place, figuratively a thought arising), or (concretely) the condition (literally a step or grade mark, figuratively a superiority of station); specifically a climactic progression (in certain Psalms).

·         H4608 - From H5927; an elevation, that is, (concretely) acclivity or platform; abstractly (the relation or state) a rise or (figuratively) priority.
o   H5927 - A primitive root; to ascend, intransitively (be high) or active (mount); used in a great variety of senses, primary and secondary, literally and figuratively.

My first thought as I read through was how when we praise Him, we enter into His courts (arise).

H4609 is used 46 times in 39 verses, the first usage is:

Exo 20:26 Neither shalt thou go up by steps unto mine altar, that thy nakedness be not discovered thereon.

It’s used in 1 and 2 Kings as steps; stairs; degrees (twice in 2 Kings 20:9, 10); in 2 Kings 20:11 degrees and dial.  1 and 2 Chronicles uses both degree and steps.

Ezra 7:9 – to go up; Nehemiah – stairs; Psalms 120-134 as the intro.  Isaiah 38:8; Ezekiel 11:5; 40:6, 22, 26, 31, 34, 37, 49; 43:17 (steps) and the last usage:

Amo 9:6 It is he that buildeth his stories in the heaven, and hath founded his troop in the earth; he that calleth for the waters of the sea, and poureth them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is his name.

How often I fail to praise Him, to enter His courts with thanksgiving.  O Lord, I am unworthy to be called thine, yet thou in Thy perfect goodness, wisdom and knowledge has chosen me.  I who fail you continually, strengthen and stablish me Lord in Your way. Stir up the gift of Your eternal mercy and love within me, cause me to be renewed and filled with Your Spirit afresh.


Help me Lord to see this life and world through Your vision, to rekindle my first love for You.  The passion and desire to proclaim Your name to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment