Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Genesis 1-3

1:3 light
But not the same as day 4?
3:7 sewed? Where/how did they learn?
Nothing had died at this point. Not a leaf, not a branch/twig, nothing.
Naked?

I've been using my 'smart' phone to make notes to myself - I thought I'd leave my 'jumping' off place as this new season of discoveries begins.  I'm slightly behind in posting...I hadn't thought I'd actually have much to post.

Oh, how wrong I was and am...so here for January 1st, was my first 'new' discoveries.  I hope if you're reading this, you are spending time in the Word of God.  With each word you read, I hope you are discovering new things about Him, His grace, His mercy and being conformed into His image.

Gen 1:3  And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

What kind of light?  H216 - From H215; illumination or (concretely) luminary (in every sense, including lightning, happiness, etc.).
  • H215 - A primitive root; to be (causatively make) luminous (literally and metaphorically).
Used 122 times in 111 verses only 4 times in Genesis 1:3, 4, 5, and 18.  So not the same word as day 4?

Think about that...God created light, but not the sun, moon or stars.  Light such as separates the day from the night and made the first day.

Gen 1:5  And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Day 4 - Gen 1:14  And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years: 

H3974 - From H215; properly a luminous body or luminary, that is, (abstractly) light (as an element); figuratively brightness, that is, cheerfulness; specifically a chandelier.

I know this isn't a recap of Day 1, but don't quite grasp the difference.

Keil and Delitzsch Commentary:  "The first thing created by the divine Word was “light,” the elementary light, or light-material, in distinction from the “lights,” or light-bearers, bodies of light, as the sun, moon, and stars, created on the fourth day, are called. It is now a generally accepted truth of natural science, that the light does not spring from the sun and stars, but that the sun itself is a dark body, and the light proceeds from an atmosphere which surrounds it."

The Institute of Creation Research - Sunlight Before the Sun.


Have you ever considered the mind of God?  Think (with our limited capacity) how magnificent a mind He has...out of nothing He created.  If we want to create, say cookies, we gather the ingredients.  We don't have to make, design, imagine them...they just are...even if you take the basic ingredients, say flour and butter.

Could you conceive of making dirt, to plant a seed to make grain to grow to mill?  Rain to water it?  Designing a cow to make milk, to churn to make butter?

So what questions didn't I cover that I started with today?

No comments:

Post a Comment