Friday, October 3, 2014

Starving

I hadn't realized how 'malnourished' I'd become until a baby was placed in my arms at church.

A fellow saint graced me with holding her new born babe, and as I cuddled him in my arms it hit me.  I hardly touch or get touched.  I'm touched deprived.

Could that be true?  Could people actually 'starve' from lack of affection?

I remember my mom had an article cut-out from the newspaper posted to our fridge, about how many hugs people need each day.

"4 hugs a day for survival, 8 for maintenance, and 12 for growth." 
~ Virginia Satir


The irony of being 'touch deprived' when it rates 0 on my 'love language barometer'.

As I've prayed, mulled over and studied this deficiency I've had to ask myself, how am I helping others to not be touch deprived?  The untouchables.

You know, those old wrinkly people, the divorced people, the handicapped, those deemed below or outside the norm.

Oh wait, there's 3 fingers pointing back at me.  The problems been identified, how do I bring about some solution.  A solution which providentially could benefit not only me, but others as well.

As one website listed:

Hugging helps the immune system, cures depression, reduces stress and induces sleep. It's invigorating, rejuvenating and has no unpleasant side effects. It is all natural, organic, naturally sweet, no pesticides, no preservatives, no artificial ingredients and 100 percent wholesome. There are no batteries to wear out, no periodic check-ups, low energy consumption, high energy yield, inflation proof, nonfattening, no monthly payments, theft-proof, nontaxable, nonpolluting and, of course, fully returnable. Hugging is practically perfect, with the only exception that it can't recreate the wheel.

The benefits (in-depth description listed on the website referenced above):

1. STIMULATES OXYTOCIN

2. CULTIVATES PATIENCE

3. PREVENTS DISEASE

4. STIMULATES THYMUS GLAND

5. COMMUNICATION WITHOUT SAYING A WORD

6. SELF-ESTEEM

7. STIMULATES DOPAMINE

8. STIMULATES SERATONIN

9. PARASYMPATHETIC BALANCE

We've all seen or heard stories of the crusty old person who is such a crank, no one wants to be around them...then a child whose not intimidated by their gruff (is that a shield they are using to protect themselves from hurt?), treats them with love and affection and they soften.

Do you know any one who is or might be touch deprived and in need of a hug (or two, or three...), pat on the back?

Mat 8:3  And Jesus put forth his hand, and touched him, saying, I will; be thou clean. And immediately his leprosy was cleansed.

Mar 1:41  And Jesus, moved with compassion, put forth his hand, and touched him, and saith unto him, I will; be thou clean.
You weren't supposed to touch lepers (untouchables).  Yet Jesus did.

There are 9 verses which mention Jesus and touch:

Mat 17:7  And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid.

The disciples fearful and afraid.  Touch alleviating fear.

Mat 20:34  So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him.

Blind beggers...the outcasts of society.

Mar 5:27  When she had heard of Jesus, came in the press behind, and touched his garment.

Mar 5:30  And Jesus, immediately knowing in himself that virtue had gone out of him, turned him about in the press, and said, Who touched my clothes?

Luk 8:45  And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?

Luk 8:45  And Jesus said, Who touched me? When all denied, Peter and they that were with him said, Master, the multitude throng thee and press thee, and sayest thou, Who touched me?

Woman with an issue of blood, her only hope - 18 years of touch deprivation.

Luk 22:51  And Jesus answered and said, Suffer ye thus far. And he touched his ear, and healed him.

How healing touch can be, even when delivered from such 'cracked' vessels such as ourselves.

For more information on hugs and/or touch deprivation here are a few more articles:

10 Reasons Why We Need At Least 8 Hugs a Day

From the Mercola Site: How Hugging Makes You Healtier

7 Reasons Why We Should Be Giving More Hugs

The Benefits of Hugging

Are You Touch Deprived?

Need For Touch

What Lack of Affection Can Do to You

Measure of  a Mother's Love: How Early Neglect Derails Child Development

3 comments: