Sunday, October 19, 2014

Family-olatry

The quest began while looking for information on a conference with Mt. Zion Church, and while browsing through their on-line sermons came across this one:

The Insidious Danger of Family-olatry, the pastor, Jeff Pollard has been doing a series on idolatry.

This one caught my attention because I've used the phrase 'family-olatry' but hadn't see or heard anyone else use it.  Or if I did, it didn't 'hit' me.

He references the passage where Jesus asks who are my mother and my brothers?

Mat 12:46  While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.

Mat 12:47  Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.

Mat 12:48  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?

Mat 12:49  And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!

Mat 12:50  For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

He brings up several points which made me squirm - how much do I value the family of God?

So, curiosity stirred, is anyone else concerned about the elevation of physical family above spiritual family?

While not extensive, there are a few articles out there which question how the church has come to raise the family above the church.

This one Idolizing Family raises some interesting thoughts.  China, who persecutes Christians, wants to use Focus on the Family materials?

"Proper intimacy with God is the sole avenue to sound human relationships." 

From this article Personal/Family Relationships as Idols.

I picked a few nuggets from this article, The Idolatry of Family:

"Parents who seek the approval of their children more than the approval of the Lord, so they fail to “bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.”"

I wonder, was I diligent while bringing up my children?
"God has designed the universe such that everything works better (including family relationships) when His glory is our singular priority."

This article When Focus on the Family Becomes Idolatry, has some good points, I'm still pondering upon the assertion made which alleges Sarah's death may have been because of Issac's intended 'death'.

So...who or where is our focus?  Are we completely sold out to the Lord?  Are we in anyway elevating human relationships above the Lord?  How much do we really value the family of God?  Do we really see them as more significant that physical family?  Are we living lives reminiscent of how the disciples lived?

No comments:

Post a Comment