Thursday, January 29, 2015

Manners Matter

Heads up, this is a rant.

Mat 7:12  Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Luk 6:31  And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

I am appalled at the lack of manners in our society today, and amazingly NOT just young people.

You sort of expect the younger generation to be lacking in social graces...I mean they spend most of their time locked into some electronic world, right?

You know, those electronic hand extensions, social (hahahaha) media outlets, etc.

But even older (senior citizens) are lacking in politeness.  I sent an electronic invitation to someone, knowing they don't 'live' in email, I followed up a few days later with a card.  Did I hear anything?  No. I had to 'chase' them down to get an answer.

So why do manners matter - what does it say about us, especially as Christians when we don't treat people, their time, their resources with respect?

When you don't respond - in essence you're saying, "You're not worthy of my time, thought or attention.  I am so (fill in the blank), that acknowledging your request, invitation, gift, etc. is beneath me."

"Oh, I didn't have an answer.  I forgot.  I needed to check with someone before answering."  There is a litany of excuses...but really, how much time does it take to acknowledge you've 'heard' someone?  Acknowledging someone says they have value - and aren't we supposed to value others above ourselves?  Preferring one another?

Then there are the excuses from the 'grace camp':

"They're young. They don't know. Give them time. They are just like that.  They are always (fill in the blank). I'm sure you can think of many more (ad nauseam).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating NO grace...but the question becomes, if no one says anything.  If people are allowed to be thoughtless, rude, insensitive, discourteous and NO ONE calls them on it, are we truly 'loving' them?

If it's not me (or you) saying something, if not now, when?  So they don't know, they are tunnel visioned, they are whatever...so if no one ever corrects, rebukes, challenges, where do we end up?

Someone has to hold a line, point out the plumb line, direct to the standard and ladies, we've been commanded to set a good example, to challenge the younger women.  Why?

So the word of God won't be blasphemed.

Lord, help us to examine ourselves, to see if we in any way shape or form are treating others disrespectfully, not loving one another by being honest, by communicating.  Help us Lord to treat others as if you are watching every word, every thought (which You are), to remember we need to honor YOU in all our relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment