Sunday, July 6, 2014

No-See-Ums...

Now you don't see them, now they B-I-T-E you!

Arghhhhh!

Went out kayaking (F-I-N-A-L-L-Y)...wanted a sunset shot...was earlier than necessary, so paddled around for a while, waiting, waiting, waiting.  Ah what's that I spot on shore?



It was a relatively calm day.

Paddling around, I'm titling this one 'Dashed Dreams'

Almost gone, golden sunshine. 
 
I couldn't hang out any longer to get the beauty as the sun 'hit' the water.


Scratch - scratch - scratch - yikes! It's the attack of the no-see-ums! 


Quick head for shore! 

Google natural remedies. 

Ahhh...found some recipe ideas from The Boat Galley:

1 oz essential oils
9 to 19 oz carrier oil or alcohol

The site lists several oils and what they protect from.

OILS
citronella oil (no-see-ums, mosquitoes and biting flies)
cinnamon oil (mosquitoes)
lemon eucalyptus or regular eucalyptus oil (mosquitoes, ticks and lice)
castor oil (mosquitoes)
sweet orange oil (fleas)
rose geranium (ticks and lice)

CARRIERS
Olive Oil, Sunflower Oil or any cooking oil
Witch Hazel
Vodka

Well, organic coconut oil I have on hand...stopped by the local health food store and picked up Citronella and Eucalyptus.  Thought I'd go with the Citronella only as the yellow flies are horrid this time of year.

Plus I've never applied anything like this to my skin and wanted to know if there would be any reaction.  Coconut oil with or without lavender oil is no problem, but better safe than sorry!

Took a 4 ounce mason jar, let the oil liquefy and then added about 25 drops of the oil.  It was pretty strong smelling!



Essential oils are concentrated, you do not want to use anything that is diluted.  The original article (worth reading) emphatically states take care, you don't want to use tiki torch oil on your skin!

My finished product.

Slathered some on and went for a bike ride. Noticed a few 'bugs' (dead) on my arm, so far so good.  Came home and puttered in the yard, messing with my plants.

Had a couple of yellow flies land and try to bit, but very select places on my foot!  I'm attributing this to missing that particular area (knuckle of my big toe! and the back of my foot).  Overall I think this will work.

I was looking for witch hazel (which I thought I had in my linen closet), and found some skin so soft bug repellent...guess the main ingredient?  Citronella oil!

Made up my own spray using an 8 oz bottle filled with witch hazel and 25 drops of citronella oil.  I'll be trying it...soon!

2 comments:

  1. Such pretty pictures!! I may have to make this repellent, the bugs are bad this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!!! Horrid! The yellow flies especially! The spray formula works GREAT!!! The only problem I've had is small areas I've missed, the side of my thumb, knuckle of my big toe...lol. Other than they are all leaving me alone!!!

    ReplyDelete