Friday, July 25, 2014

Lean, Smooth and Green

Lean - 247 Calories

Smooth - blended to creamy perfection

Green - ugh...what?  Green as in eat your veggies?

Yup.  I am notorious for NOT eating enough vegetables (or fruit).  Bad...worse than bad.  I have a friend who usually eats 2 salads...a day...I just can't do it.  I can't even eat 1 salad a day.

My solution?  Green smoothies.  Spinach and Kale - I know they are ALL the rage right now (according to the recent Google search I did in preparation for this post); however I came upon them differently.  I was out...I needed food, I wanted something reasonably inexpensive and healthy...hmmm, tropical smoothie.

They were running some NEW types - Island Green and something with carrot (oh gross!).  I had to ask the girl 3 or 4 times to repeat the ingredients.  Specifically the part about the extra sweetener.

What?  You've got 3 fruits in there and you're adding additional sweetener?  Uh, no, just make mine without, please and thank you.  It was good.  I was hooked.  I'm forever thinking (no matter if it's food or other things), I can make this at home.  Guess what? I can, I did and mine's much better!

My recipe:

1/2 cup liquid
2 cups kale/spinach
1/2 cup pineapple
1/2 cup mango
1/2 to whole banana


1/2 cup of Orange/Mango Juice (you can use water/coconut milk, etc. - literally whatever 'floats' your boat).  You have to have some liquid to help mulch the greens.

2 cups kale/spinach - my local store sells these as a combo.  Works for me.  I know many who prefer organic and/or buy them separate...probably the same folks who are really diligent to eat salads too.

Note - the 2 cups is an estimate - I literally 'stuff' the blender.  Not PACK, stuff, there is a difference...really.

I then pulse until the greens and OJ are mixed, then hit the liquefy button and let 'er rip!
Once it's smooth I start adding my fruit, usually softest first with the same routine, pulse until 'mixed' then liquefy until smooth.

So in goes the banana, then the mango, then the pineapple. Then a 'tumbler' full of ice..hit the ice crushing function and ta dah!


Wonderfully healthy, frozen drink.  I usually buy a bag of greens, along with 3 or 4 bananas, and 16 oz of pineapple/mango (I thaw mine, yes I know I could use it frozen, I don't like 'bits and 'pieces' of fruit in my smoothie) which will make 6-8 glasses (16 oz).  I freeze my smoothies (I know, I'm supposedly 'losing' nutrients).  When I want one I take it out 3-4 hours before hand and let it 'thaw'.

My experience - I have more energy, mental clarify and some weight loss.  When I don't drink them I actually 'crave' them.  So while I may not be doing them 'perfectly' I am experiencing some awesome benefits.

I found several sites which listed the benefits of green smoothies - a few that stood out were:

My Green Smoothie Does Not Make Me Better Than You - thought provoking, specifically when we take something and use it to make ourselves seem like WE have arrived.  Self-righteousness didn't work too well for the Pharisees and Sadducces.

Feeling Tired?  12 Health Transforming Benefits of Green Smoothies - Weight loss, mental clarity, and more energy.  Definite for me.  And I'll take double on the 'lessens wrinkles.'

10 Benefits of Green Smoothies - They help you stay 'regular'.  Supposedly the calcium in kale is easier for our bodies to absorb than milk calcium.  I'm an aging woman, works for me!

Top 10 Benefits of Green Smoothies - easy to make.  Yup!

Is Your Green Smoothie ACTUALLY Healthy and Balanced? - Definitely something to think about as you 'toss' stuff together for a smoothie, whether it's green or not.

I have tried to make carrot smoothies - it's just not a happening thing for me, at least right now.  Also, I'm researching some of the additional ingredients a few of the articles have mentioned, specifically CHIA SEEDS and CRANBERRIES.

Be encouraged...be bold...blend away!

No comments:

Post a Comment