Saturday, October 5, 2013

Giving

I couldn't figure out a stellar title, hence just giving.  I haven't even thoroughly researched the word or where it's used in the Bible.

I don't see myself as being particularly good at giving - and when I do, I don't do it as a means of 'checking' off a box or garnering attention - at least I hope not.

In fact, blogging about my recent act of giving never crossed my mind, until I'd begun the process.

We have several ladies in our church who've donated hair to Locks of Love and I'd previously considered it; however at the time I had a perm (and yes they'll take permed hair) and thought they wouldn't accept any chemically treated hair (they take dyed hair too).

I've been measuring to ensure I had at least 10 inches, with some to spare, because frankly I'm sort of attached to my hair!  Or my hair is attached to me!  :-D

I noticed some split ends and thought I'd pop into the hair salon (I normally have friends trim it for me) and see about getting about 2 inches trimmed.  The stylist said the split ends weren't bad and asked if we wanted to do the donation cut today.  Hmmmm...I'd pondered that, I'd even had my ruler out and measured, a couple of times!

So I said yes...let's go for it.  The salon indicated there was another organization which accepted donated hair, Wigs for Kids, which I'd never heard of; however, their donation size minimum was 12 inches.

Locks of Love is 10 inches and frankly I wasn't quite ready to part with 12 - seems the LOL wants an inch above the ponytail so 11 inches.  Wow...was I ready?  I thought so.

First step, ponytail the hair, braid, then cut.  Not a problem.


I am well within the 11 inch range!



Which actually left me with hair about shoulder blade length...which is where I should have told the stylist, just even it out and I'll let it grow and donate again.

She suggested layering it so it would lay better, to which I agreed.  I don't know how experienced she was; however for future reference I will N-E-V-E-R allow someone to 'style' or 'cut' my hair that I haven't already established a rapport.

My hair...grief...I didn't realize how much my hair meant to me, how much it made me, well me.

I had to take off my glasses while she cut, so it was difficult to tell exactly what she was doing, but it got shorter and shorter and...you get the idea.

I haven't measured, but guesstimating my shoulder blades are approximately 4 inches from my shoulders, which is where the LONGEST of my hair now resides.  I combed my hair in the parking lot to get rid of the extra hairs and there were 3 inch sections coming out!  Not to mention all those little pieces that invariably get 'stuck' on your head.

I was sniveling on the way home about not EVEN being able to make a ponytail!  Arrived home...looked in the mirror, I mean REALLY looked and started bawling.  I'm not talking about crying, sniff, sniff, I'm talking bawling.

Washed my hair out - to get rid of all those bits and pieces - put it up in a towel (it actually fits now, previously several inches used to dangle out).  Got online to explore the LOL and WFK sites.  Self talking, it will grow back.  Started reading and watching testimonials.

I didn't realize that many of the children assisted have a type of disease which makes their hair (not just on head either!) fall out.  Eyelashes, eyebrows, etc.  I know hair can be a vanity, truly it can and I'm hoping neither I, nor  those who are receiving the hair, are vain about it.

It is a humbling thought for me as I worked through my 'loss' to realize how many have to deal with the complete and unrecoverable loss of their hair.   My hair, God willing, will grow back.  Will I donate again...yes, yes I think I will.  Will I allow an unknown and untried stylist to hack at my hair?  No.

I'm prayerful that this small amount of hair I've given (it takes 6 or more ponytails to make a wig) will be a blessing to some young person.  Next time...more length to the donation and less to the stylist shop floor!  Oh...and I did manage to make a ponytail with what I've got left...its small, but its a start!

1 comment:

  1. Great post! It reminds me of the truth that (for I too, love my hair) it's just hair. It WILL grow back, you know? I know in the past I've made such a big deal over loosing something I have that someone else can't have. It's good to give. It's hard, but good. =)

    ReplyDelete