Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pledge Or Endust

Or neither?

It dawned on me the other day, hmmm, I remember as a child, one of my weekly chores was to dust and polish the furniture. I haven't properly 'dusted' or 'polished' my wooden furniture in...well, let's just say it's been a while. :-)

So as my mind meandered upon that Kastle keeping task (lol!) I wondered, hmmm, surely there has to be a more natural method or solution for cleaning and hydrating the wood furniture, no?

Whatever did we do pre-internet when questions arose? I seriously doubt the 'ol encyclopedias would have had anything on 'dusting' - well maybe crop dusting, but furniture maintenance?

So what have I unearthed? Here are a few recipes for homemade furniture polish:

From Care2 site:

10 drops lemon oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
A few drops olive oil or jojoba

From the The Make Your Own Zone (don't ya just love the name?):
1-3/4 cups water
1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 teaspoon lemon essential oil (about 8 to 10 drops)

From the Our Homemade Happiness:

1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice or vinegar

I like the simplicity of the 3rd one (theirs sounds like salad dressing); however their ratio of oil to vinegar (or lemon juice) seems backwards from the first two.

There were comments on each one, specifically asking about the oil becoming rancid. I'd think with the lemon juice or vinegar (white distilled) that wouldn't be an issue. Several said to only make as must as you needed for the task (good point).

I haven't any lemon essential oil, but do have tea tree oil, so I may substitute that instead.  Once I try them, I'll ether try to add to this post or (if I have pictures) a new one with a reference to this.  If anyone has other ideas and/or suggestions, or have tried something similar please do comment on this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment