Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Beware the Flatterer

Pro 20:19  He that goeth about as a talebearer revealeth secrets: therefore meddle not with him that flattereth with his lips.

I was curious, what/who is a flatterer?  Word study time!

flattereth - H6601 - A primitive root; to open, that is, be (causatively make) roomy; usually figuratively (in a mental or moral sense) to be (causatively make) simple or (in a sinister way) delude.

Used 28 times in 26 verses.  The first usage:

Gen 9:27  God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.

Also used in Judges 14:15 and 16:15

Entice - Exodus 22:6; 2 Chronicles 18:19-21; Job 31:27; Proverbs 1:10, 16:29; and Jeremiah 20:10

Deceive or deceived - Deuteronomy 11:16; 2 Samuel 3.25; Job 31:9; Proverbs 24:28; Jeremiah 20:7; and Ezekiel 14:9 (2)

Persuade - 1 Kings 22:20-22; and Proverbs 25:15

Silly - Job 5:2; and Hosea 7:11

Flatter - Psalm 78:36; and Proverbs 20:19

Allure - Hosea 2:14 - Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her. 

I don't ever remember seeing the word 'silly'!  I used the word with my children (versus stupid).  My!  Silly isn't much better!

So someone who 'flatters' does so to entice, deceive, persuade, allure, or enlarge.  The first type of person who comes to mind, is a sales person.  They will tell or say almost anything to 'seal the deal'.

Sometimes known as a 'brown noser' - not a pretty phrase, but one who 'sucks' up to someone (usually a position of authority) in order to 'gain' for themselves.

I'm pondering if I 'speak' true words...or if anything I say could be construed (or is!!!) 'flattery' - I'm not talking compliments - but speaking in a way to someone to 'puff' up their vanity or engage their 'favor' in order to gain something for myself.  All without sincerity or truth.

God tells us to let our yes be yes and our no be no.  Lord, help us Your people to speak truth, to compliment and encourage truthfully, without hypocrisy or deceit.  To applaud appropriately, but to also admonish when needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment